Keywords: the key to speed up timing!
Using keywords during the training can help significantly to accelerate timing and reduce cognitive workload
- Players focus decline, as I underlined in my last article ( read “Sharing the meaning of words”) all the faster if the player is younger;
- Distribution of attention focus during the training, but mostly during the match, on various tasks and different internal and external incentives;
- The match stress: during the match the requests and the stakes are higher;
- Interfering of emotional factors (anxiety, irritability, excitement, etc.) on cognitive capability
- The noisy context is often disturbing.
The keyword is a key which opens the door of shared meanings. Is not important that a Keyword makes sense, it’s important that it makes sense for the team who is using it: pear, diamond, tree, square, joker... whatever! The important thing is that players know exactly what it does mean. Sometimes, the more strange and offhand is the word, the more efficient it will be, because the guys have fun and are more encouraged to use it.
Keywords must not have a shared meaning in the whole football world; if I use for example the word “pressing”, what I mean will be clear to my players, but also to the teammates whose will be favoured in this way because they will know what we’re going to do.
To explain a game plan during the training or a movement in the field, share its meaning and purpose and then summarize that all up into a single word; create keywords results in speeding up the game, understanding what needs to be done more quickly, accelerating choices, optimizing inner energies and cognitive load....the game is worth the candle!
What about you? Did you create your keywords with your guys? How long you take to give an indication during the game? How many words do you use? It is never too late to begin...